We’ve all seen them. They’re the highly productive ones in the office who sit at their computer and dance around their keyboards. They jump between programs with the flick of a finger. They cut and copy. They paste and pivot. All with the greatest of ease.
They’re the ones you go to when you’re having computer problems and you’re a bit envious that they get things done twice as quickly as you. If only you’d learned those tips, tricks and shortcuts…
Now, apply the same scenario to your smartphone.
In some ways the smartphone is replacing the PC and is well on its way to being the most-used device in human history. Think how many times you pull your phone out of your pocket to check the time, text someone, make a call, queue up some music, look at a map or check Facebook. The smartphone has replaced the calculator, the diary, the MP3 player, the media player, the GPS and the list is growing.
Think how good it would be if you could master your phone like those computer literate people have mastered their computers. Here are some examples to illustrate the point:
– On iPhones, did you know you can leave out the .com when entering URLs?
– On newer Nokia phones, did you know you can remotely lock your phone if it has been stolen?
– On Blackberrys, did you know there are dozens of keyboard shortcuts to save you time?
There are plenty of ways to learn these hidden tips and tricks. Here is a quick list:
– Read the manual, although this one’s a bit tedious!
– Browse discussion forums – Google search your phone name + the word “forum”
– Search Youtube for your phone name and the words “tips and tricks”
– Ask as friend that owns the same phone. They’re usually happy to show off their knowledge
– Simply play with your phone. Explore it’s menus. You won’t break it I promise
– The best method, however is to browse a dedicated tips and tricks website, like Phone Tips and Tricks who have compiled hundreds of tips for dozens of phones
Give the above list a try. You’ll really notice the productivity boost you’ll get when you really master your phone and learn to use it properly and efficiently.